Green River Star -

Apartment fire caused by lit candle

 

December 9, 2020



A Saturday afternoon fire at 370 Upland Way was started by a candle according to Larry Erdmann, assistant fire chief for the Green River Fire Department.

The fire department was called to the fire at 1:43 p.m. Saturday after a resident reported hearing a fire alarm in a nearby apartment. The caller said they could smell smoke, but firefighters could not see smoke of flames when they arrived. Apartment residents outside said they could see flames from under the door on the third floor of the complex.

Firefighters forced entry into the apartment as the door was locked and the space was unoccupied.

They found the fire, which consisted of a table and items placed on it, as were able to extinguish the blaze.

Firefighters interviewed the occupant, who said they had lit a candle near flammable materials on the table. Firefighters were at the scene for more than an hour and responded with two trucks and 18 firefighters.

Erdmann said people should ensure their smoke alarms are operational and make sure lit candles are placed in safe places, far from combustible materials.

 

Reader Comments(0)

 
 

Powered by ROAR Online Publication Software from Lions Light Corporation
© Copyright 2020

Rendered 01/25/2021 04:53