Green River Star -

By Storm Adcock
Green River Historic Preservation Commission 

A river trip between Green River and Linwood, Utah


The history of Green River revolves around water. From the earliest days, the city “ebbed and flowed” because there was an adequate and dependable water supply. Between the 1860s and the 1870s Green River was nearly abandoned in favor of Bryan a now abandoned community located on the Black Fork River 13 miles west of present day Green River. Incidentally, Bryan was on land controlled by the Union Pacific Railroad. However, by 1872 drought forced the U.P. to move its operations to Green River because adequate and dependable water was available here.

Today in Green River, summer is a...

For access to this article please sign in or subscribe.


Reader Comments


Powered by ROAR Online Publication Software from Lions Light Corporation
© Copyright 2019

Rendered 05/28/2020 19:55